Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

Business Student Council celebrates students with Maysfest

Photo by Photo by Kaylee Cogbill

Maysfest included food, games and musical entertainment.

Students walking through West Campus on Wednesday were greeted by the booths, games, free food and lively music of the Spring 2019 Maysfest.

The biannual event was hosted by the Maysfest Subcommittee within the Business Student Council to give back to their fellow students. This year, 10 businesses came out to Maysfest to sponsor the event, in addition to the different clubs and organizations on campus that set up booths. Maysfest has been going on once a semester for more than 10 years and used to be a couple of tables set out on the lawn before it became what it is now.
Business honors senior Riley Klubnik handed out free Tiff’s Treats cookies to students as they passed through on their way to class.
“We have free food, activities, games and live music just to give back to the students that work so hard for the university that we love so much and take a little bit of stress off of them as they come in between classes,” Klubnik said. “They might be on their way out from a hard test, but then handing them a free cookie or snow cone might light up their day and we enjoy seeing that appreciation.”
Organizations and clubs also join the Maysfest joy with games, activities or free treats. Business administration sophomore Emma Locke handed out free drinks on behalf of her organization, Christian Business Leaders.
“I think it’s a really cool experience for everybody in Mays to come together as a college, to just kind of celebrate the one thing we have in common: the business world,” Locke said. “Even though we’re all going in different directions, we’re all one big business.”
The Business Student Council is working on making Maysfest a more well known event to students through sponsorships from local businesses, as well as incorporating the live music shows put on by students. The chair of the Maysfest Subcommittee, Business Honors senior Carolina Ustick, said she enjoys seeing how students who weren’t previously aware of the event still have a genuine appreciation for what it is once they walk outside the classroom.
“I think it’s just a carefree day that brings a lot of joy to people,” Ustick. “They show up and they’re so happy receiving free food and playing games while listening to the music. This is for the students because they make Mays school what it is.”