Cadets transfer ranks in annual Final Review

Alyssa+Michalke
Provided
Alyssa Michalke

The Corps of Cadets seniors stepped off the Quad for the last time Saturday morning as they marched in formation toward Simpson Drill Field to complete Final Review. 
Final Review, the last event for the Corps of Cadets before being dismissed for summer, is a full-fledged military review that is divided into two separate passes. 
Family members and friends of the cadets lined the field to watch as the cadets closed out the school year and welcomed in new leadership for next year.
During Final Review, members of each outfit marched together in two “passes” — passing by high-ranking officials who inspect the ranks of the Corps as they march.
The first pass consisted of all four class years, including graduating seniors. After first pass, seniors changed out of their bravo top into their outfit T-shirts and joined with their friends to celebrate the completion of their time as cadets. 
The rest of the cadets went back to their dorms to change into their new class uniforms to march in for second pass, which is done without the graduating seniors. 
In the second pass, the Class of 2016 marched for the first time in their senior boots while the Class of 2017 switched their black belts for white ones. During this pass, graduating seniors formed a line around the sides of Simpson Drill Field and the cadets saluted them as they marched by, rather than saluting the reviewing officers. 
Col. Paul Timoney, professor of naval science, said the two passes represent more than just a shift of leadership. Timoney said Final Review signifies two things — the growth of the individual cadet and of the Corps as a whole.
“So for the individual member of the Corps, especially for the seniors, it represents their body of work,” Timoney said. “For the Corps as a whole it’s a military tradition, it’s a rite of passage.”
Nick Starnes, international studies senior, said as his last Final Review, the event was surreal.
“People literally told me to enjoy as much as you can because four years is going to go by fast and now that I am walking back from my last final review, it’s just really weird because now I’m done,” Starnes said.
Dakota Relford, history senior, said he is happy to be finished and to begin his future in the military.
“It feels great, honestly,” Relford said. “I’m glad for all our time in the Corps, but I am also so glad to be done and to see what’s in the future. It’s a culmination of sorts.”
Nick Mogensen, international affairs graduate student, said it was strange watching the Corps march without him.
“I wasn’t sure how it would look when they came through because I had always been a part of that, but everything looked really good,” Mogensen said. “It’s like a continuous stream of life — some people leave and then others replace them.”
Final Review not only marks a transition for seniors but shifts in leadership as well. This year, the Corps swore in the first female Corps Commander, Alyssa Michalke, retired longtime mascot Reveille VIII and activated Reveille IX. 
2015-2016 Mascot Corporal Ian Moss, construction science freshman, said the transition between Reveille VIII and Reveille IX will be a challenge — one that he and his outfit, E-2, are prepared to face together.
“She’s a great dog from what I’ve seen when I’ve been around her — she still has a lot to learn,” Moss said. “It will take a lot of socialization over the summer, but I’m looking forward to the challenge.”
As historic as this year’s Final Review was, Timoney said the heart of the tradition of Final Review is rooted deep within the traditional saying: “People come and go — the Corps remains.”

• Alyssa Michalke

• Alyssa Michalke

• Final Review, Reveille 8

Tim Lai
  • The Corp of Cadets formed orderly lines, before commencing their first Pass in Review, during the annual Final Review ceremony, Saturday, May 9th 

Timothy Lai

Timothy Lai
  • Each squadron carried their respective flags during the annual Final Review ceremony, on Saturday, May 9th. 

Timothy Lai
  • The Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band were placed in an isolated section of Simpson Field, away from the rest of the Corp of Cadets, on Saturday, May 9th. 

Timothy Lai
  • The Corp of Cadets made their way to Simpson Field for the annual Final Review ceremony at 9am, Saturday May 9th. 

Timothy Lai
  • Reveille VIII made her last apperance during the first Pass in Review, during the annual Final Review ceremony on Saturday, May 9th. 

Timothy Lai