Campaigns disturbed Holocaust tribute

On Monday students from the Hillel foundation along with other members of the Jewish community gathered in Rudder Plaza to read from the list of names of victims of the Holocaust. Upon request, all of the other social justice and student groups tabling this week agreed to move into the MSC so as not to take the focus away from the memorial outside. The only distractions from the Holocaust memorial were the student campaigners, who remained in the Plaza throughout the day and continued to shout out to passing students, hand out fliers, and dance around in campaign related costumes.
Hating these campaigns has always been a part of my experience as an Aggie. In my personal opinion these campaigns channel students’ energy and motivation to make a difference into unproductive and pointless avenues. Whatever your opinion of student elections, however, we can all agree that students and members of the community who are making the effort to pay tribute to the victims of the Holocaust should at least have the respect they deserve, if not our undivided attention.
Judith BohrClass of 2008