Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Campus Briefs – Prof: Pets should replace i-Pod on jog

Spring is in the air and, for many people, that means breaking out the jogging gear. But Dr. Melanie Landis, a veterinarian at Texas A&M University’s College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, suggests bringing Fido along instead of your iPod.
Taking Fido along when you exercise offers many health benefits for both you and your pet, Landis says. “The physical health advantages of exercising together, such as burning calories, toning muscles and cardiovascular conditioning occur both for owners and pets,” Landis believes.
“People also receive emotional rewards from jogging with their pets. Jogging together is a great way to spend time with your dog outdoors. Dogs can also offer a sense of protection for their owners, particularly for women with medium or large breed dogs who would otherwise jog alone,” Landis adds.
A dog can sometimes be a strong motivating factor to get the reluctant jogger off the couch.
“Sometimes, a pet owner is more willing to take up jogging when a dog needs to lose weight than when the owner needs to lose weight,” she notes. Though there is no way to measure a dog’s enjoyment of jogging, Landis says, “Dogs need interaction so, any time they are able to socialize with their owners is beneficial for them.”
“It’s important to consult both a doctor and a veterinarian before developing a work out routine for you and your dog,” Landis recommends.