Campus Carry Committee shares information on gun laws

The Black Student Alliance Council hosted a talk with the Campus Carry Committee on Wednesday night to discuss the newly passed bill that will potentially allow students, faculty and staff of Texas A&M to bring firearms on campus starting Aug. 1, 2016.
President Young’s official rules pertaining to campus carry will be established by late spring of 2016. If two-thirds of the Board of Regents wish to go against Young, they will be able to amend it, said J. Michael Ragan, director and chief of police at Texas A&M.
“The president will establish the rules right after the information is given to him,” Ragan said. “Not later than 90 days after the rules are established, the Board of Regents shall review the rules.” 
Caelan Thompson, internal alliance director for BSAC, said they wanted to give UPD the chance to explain and educate individuals on campus carry.
“I think there’s a lot of misconceptions as far as campus carry, open carry, kind of what that means, what that will allow and kind what that means for everyone’s safety,” Thompson said. 
The likelihood of a college student having concealed carry permit is not high based on statistics, said David W. Parrott, executive associate vice president of student affairs. Parrott said there are 825,000 permit holders registered in the state of Texas — less than 4 percent.
“In order to get a concealed carrying permit license, a firearm license, you have to be 21 years of age or older,” Parrott said. “When I say that and you think of undergraduates — most undergraduates will be under the age of 21.”   
A survey will be sent out to students this semester to gather opinions and concerns they may have about campus carry, Parrott said. The committee members urged the students who attended to take the time to fill out the survey and voice their opinions, and to encourage classmates to do so as well.
“We on the committee, we really don’t want to put out and get a little of nothing, we’d like see a lot of response,” Parrott said. 
The Campus Carry Committee plans for a website including information about open carry in Texas and around the United States to be up and running  sometime next week, Ragan said. 
“We’re hoping that it gets out like late next week, so the survey will be a little bit behind that,” Ragan said.
Eric Washington, political science senior, said some of his stress over the issue was alleviated after listening to the committee, but he still has some concerns.
“There are certain things on my mind. I’m worried about certain scenarios that could happen, ‘if’ ‘and’s, or ‘but’s, kind of things,” Washington said. 
 The bill passed will allow students at four year universities’ in Texas to be allowed to carry guns on Aug. 1.