‘Campus Carry’ officially signed into law Saturday

Wesley Holmes
Gov. Gregg Abbott signed ‘campus carry’ into law Saturday

‘Campus Carry’ was finalized Saturday when Gov. Greg Abbott signed SB11 into law at a gun range in Pflugerville, Texas.
SB11 will allow individuals with a concealed carry license to legally carry firearms on campuses of public institutions of higher learning, effective Aug. 1, 2016.

In a statement, Abbott said he was proud to expand the rights of Texans.

“By signing these bills into law, Texans can be assured that their Second Amendment rights will be stronger and more secure than ever before,” Abbott said.

SB11 allows college campuses to establish “reasonable rules” and regulations regarding concealed carry areas on campus, although they are forbidden from establishing “general prohibitions” on concealed handguns.

In a statement, Shane Hinckley, interim vice president for marketing and communications at Texas A&M, said the university’s goal is to implement the bill in a way that enhances the safety and well-being of everyone on campus.

“The bill asks us to consult with students, staff and faculty during the implementation process, and we will make sure those voices are heard,” Hinckley said. “We will have the necessary rules and policies in place by the time the legislation goes into effect on August 1, 2016.”

Speaker of the Student Senate Aaron Mitchell said it’s reassuring to know that Aggies will now have their rights to self defense extended to campus.

“We are pleased that Gov. Abbott signed the bill and are pleased with the amendments that allow A&M to keep its federal research grants,” Mitchell said. “I am extremely happy that [SGA] could play a part by lobbying for this bill in Austin.”

After SB11 was passed by the Texas Legislature in May, Amol Shalia, geophysics senior and president of Aggie Democrats, said the implementation of ‘campus carry’ would make him uncomfortable.

“I never really grew up around guns, and never really was immersed into gun culture until I came to Texas A&M,” Shalia said. “Being in an environment that has more guns would make me feel more unsafe.”

Speaking on behalf of Aggie Democrats, Shalia said the group will advocate against ‘Campus Carry.’

Abbott also signed HB910 into law, which allows licensees to carry holstered handguns in open sight in allowed locations, not including college campuses.