The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

Campus demand leads to female service group creation

While discovering the challenges associated with building an organization from the ground up, a new women’s organization seeks to give members an outlet to develop strong friendships while engaging in pursuits of leadership and service.Founded in fall 2012 by a group of 15 students, Aggie Belles is an organization dedicated to serving the needs of its members and the greater community.Jessica Watson, senior psychology major and co-president, said the impetus for the formation of the organization was an overwhelming demand for more all-women’s organizations and an underwhelming supply.”Essentially we really just saw a huge need for women wanting to get [involved in] service and to develop their leadership more,” Watson said. “There are just a few women’s organizations out there and so many girls that want to be a part of them, but there are just not enough spots.”Taking a page from the sorority handbook, the Aggie Belles have a big-little program called ‘Rosies’ modeled after Rosie the Riveter in namesake and purpose to help new members acclimate to the organization. Each Rosie family consists of one officer or staff member and two or three new members.”All the founding members have a group of new members, and so those are the ones we get to know first and foremost to make sure they are adjusting well,” Watson said. “Rosie the Riveter, that’s what we want to be, strong women leaders.”Watson said creating a new organization lends special opportunities for leadership development to its members.”I think the girls in this organization really have a unique opportunity to be a leader because we’re so new,” Watson said. “They get to bring this up and make this their own. That’s a unique thing we can give them. “Welch said the Aggie Belles place great importance not only on their commitment to service but also on the value of random acts of kindness.”One time [we took baked goods] to firefighters and policemen.” Welch said. “We just wanted to kind of give back to them because they do so much for us and they don’t always get that appreciativeness from students on campus so we wanted to reach out to as many people as we can.”Welch said the Belles hope their actions inspire other students to take initiative and to take action into their own hands to help those they see in need.”We kind of hope that by starting this we can maybe implement other people and get them excited to start their own things and really just give girls an outlet to find their place here on campus,” Welch said.Although the concept of leaving a legacy is a bit unreal to her, Watson has great aspirations for the organization she helped to establish.” People need something to be a part of; they need something to put themselves in, to put their hearts in and I really think Aggie Belles can be that for so many girls.” Watson said.