Candidate Profile: Dustin McKnight

Student Body President candidate Dustin McKnight said that if elected, he will have an open-door policy so all students will have an opportunity to let him know their opinions on campus matters.
“Everyone deserves a voice,” McKnight said. “Accountability’s a big thing.”
McKnight said that he wants everyone to be able to talk to him, not just typical students.
“I want to reach out to students who aren’t the typical Aggie,” McKnight said. “It’s not just race – diversity is different backgrounds.”
McKnight said that diversity is an important issue that the incoming SBP must deal with. He said that when he isn’t able to attend meetings he thinks would help promote diversity, he would make sure someone in his office would and report back to him so he could stay informed.
McKnight said that passing an anti-discrimination bill is the first step in making sure people with all backgrounds are treated equally. He said that the bill will make everyone equal, but it won’t change the culture of A&M.
“It’s [discrimination] here. It’s Aggieland and it’s sad,” McKnight said.
McKnight said he is qualified for the position of SBP because of his broad experience from inside and outside of Student Government Association. McKnight served as the assistant executive director of Student Service, a co-director of Leaders in Freshman Engineering and served on the executive council of the Student Engineering Council.
“Going into the next 365 days serving as SBP, you don’t know what’s going to come up,” McKnight said, “and a lot of those things are things you need to act on, but you promise each day to give your best.”