Candidate Profile: Nick Adams

Late Sunday night, the “Click Nick” campaigners were dressed as life-sized iPods and ready to take on the final two days of campaigning. After outlining the week’s tasks and previewing a yet-unreleased campaign video, Student Body President candidate junior Nick Adams stood to speak to the large group of volunteers.
Adams said that when he decided to run, he consciously took a step back in order to really talk to students and see what they wanted out of their student body president, and more importantly what they wanted to see happen within the next year.
In the second half of the summer, Adams was able to travel Europe with his brother, which was when he said he finally began to seriously consider running for SBP because Student Government Association was all he could think about.
“I was standing in the middle of the Coliseum in Rome and started talking to my brother about the MSC renovation,” he said, smiling. He said that was when he mentally began preparing for the year ahead.
As a telecommunication media studies major, he said communication plays a big role in his academics as well as his platform issues. Adams plans on extending communication between the administration, student government and the students by developing stronger relationships with The Battalion, 90.9 KAMU-FM and developing the iTunes U program further.
“The most important way for a constant flow of information is through telecommunications,” Adams said. “Our information needs to be easy, fast and on-the-go. This is why it is even more important for video messages and podcasts to be available for students on a regular basis.”
Other important stances in Adams’ platform include ideas to further diversity, campus conservation, overall student involvement and SGA relations.
What Adams said he has learned most from his executive position is the necessity to constantly evaluate what is going on and the need to check up with everyone to insure that they are not only fulfilling their own mission and goals but their responsibility to the student body.
“There is never going to be just one answer to solve a problem. There will never be just one solution for all 46,000 students,” Adams said. “But with dedicated leaders, the best initiatives and alternatives will be found.”