Candidate Profile: Ryan Rieger

In Rudder Plaza Thursday until midnight, Student Body President candidate Ryan Rieger was introducing himself and speaking one-on-one with students about his candidacy and the direction he sees for Texas A&M in the 2008-2009 school year.
Rieger is no stranger to long hours and hard work. As a member of the Corps of Cadets, he is enlisted as infantryman in the U.S. Army and serves as an assistant platoon leader in the Texas National Guard. Since beginning his studies in political science at A&M, he has been involved with Student Senate representing the college of liberal arts.
He said he has based his platform on what is seen as reasonable from his experience within Student Senate, especially on issues related to student fees.
“In my two years as a senator, I know what the issues are and what goals are reasonable. I am not promising anything that is not realistic and accomplishable,” Rieger said. “I have relationships with many members of administration and have a very large knowledge about the ins and outs of student government.”
Of his many platform issues, his stances on parking, campus safety and transportation have come directly from the work he has done as a senator in what he said he sees as an overall improvement for the student body.
He said another big focus is diversity. His travels to Kuwait, Egypt and China sparked within him the idea of I-camp, an orientation camp for international students to make them feel more at home in Aggieland. His diversity platform sticks to the idea that all people should be more readily informed of other cultures.
When people suggest that these issues surrounding diversity would disturb the long-standing tradition at the University, Rieger said, citing the example of the anti-discrimination bill within Senate, that the spirit, atmosphere, tradition at A&M will never change.
From his own experience in the Corps, he said he feels the sense of duty and tradition, but the shared compassion that Aggies possess that allows for all students to feel welcomed and at home.
Another large focus of Rieger’s campaign deals with broadening communication with the students.
Through conversations and other examples of communication, Rieger spoke of the importance of being up-front and accessible to everyone, but would like to communicate through mass e-mails to students and through an improved SGA website that would be more conducive to student comments and input.