Car burglary, assault on west campus

At around 5 p.m. Tuesday, the University Police Department received a report of a Burglary of Motor Vehicle in Parking Area 65 near the Kleberg Building, according to a UPD press release.

According to the release, the victim stated in the report that when he returned to his parked car on west campus, he saw the hood open and a Hispanic male trying to remove the battery. When confronted by the victim, the suspect said he was working on the vehicle for a friend. The victim then noticed his rangefinder in the front seat of the Cadillac CTS parked next to his, and retrieved it in an attempt to keep the suspect from leaving. The release states that the suspect then pushed past him and got into the Cadillac.

The release states that when the victim moved in front of the Cadillac to take a picture of the license plate, the suspect left the parking space and struck the victim on the leg with the car, then left the area driving south toward George Bush Drive. The victim was not injured when he was struck by the vehicle.
The suspect is described as a Hispanic male in his 20s, 5’9” – 5’10”, medium build, last seen wearing a black shirt, jeans and cowboy boots. The vehicle is a grey 2008 Cadillac CTS, with Texas license plate FKH-3524.
Anyone with information regarding the case is urged to contact UPD at 979-845-2345.