Career Center works for your success

Karis Olson
Students engage in the AGLS career fair located at MSC 2300 on Feb 1, 2024.

As a college student, the tendency to procrastinate is common. To break this cycle, the Career Center connects students with a vast majority of resources that will help students make their  futures a reality.

With graduation right around the corner for some, it cannot be stressed enough that now is the time to take action and make preparing for the future the central focus. 

As an Aggie, you have likely heard about the Career Center. However, you may not have used it. Desireé Wilson, Class of 1985, is the executive director of the Career Center and said she wants to emphasize that preparing for one’s future should not be an afterthought.

In a statement made by Wilson, she said she wants students to prepare for their future early on.

“It is never too early to improve your skills, learn how to engage with industry professionals and begin developing life-long skills that will help you long after graduation from A&M,” Wilson said.

Wilson also said the Career Center aims to provide guidance for professional development opportunities.

“We help Aggies realize their potential through career learning and professional development,” Wilson stated. “The Career Center helps students identify career options, identify employer targets, prepare students to stand out at a career fair, assist with offer negotiation and so much more.”

One of the network resources that the center offers is HireAggies. 

“HireAggies is a recruiting portal with thousands of intern, co-op and full-time opportunities,” Wilson said. “Additionally, HireAggies has information about upcoming recruiting events, workshops, panels and other professional development events.” 

Not only do they use networks to help students more effectively, but they take advantage of online resources. 

“Resources include VMock, an AI tool that provides resume feedback and critique, Career Center’s YouTube channel and Sigi3 to help students understand what career options align with their strengths and interests,” Wilson states. 

However, if you are in need of making an appointment with the Career Center, they offer both virtual and in-person opportunities.

“Drop-in advising is available daily for students to talk with Career Center staff on just about anything,” Wilson said. One-on-one appointments are also available either virtually or in person.”

During these appointments, one has the opportunity to discuss a broad range of topics, from resume and professional school preparation to so many more resources. 

“The Career Center helps students with their resumes in several different ways,” Wilson said. “The website has a number of different resume templates, which are a great help in getting started. There are even customized templates for the Corps of Cadets. Additionally, the Professional School Advising team is dedicated entirely to working with students looking ahead to professional schools including Law, Medicine, Dentistry and many others.”

The resources available to students go beyond what one may assume. 

“Many students aren’t aware that they can reserve a suite in the Career Center for a virtual interview at no charge,” Wilson said. “This allows a student to interview in a professional, private, quiet location and make the best possible impression. Just call the Career Center and ask! Speaking of interviews, our staff will also conduct mock interviews with students. These mock interviews can be tailored to the industry, organization or even position to give you the best possible experience.”

Another major resource offered and put on by the Career Center is the career fairs.

“With over two dozen career fairs this fall semester, there really is something for everyone,” Wilson stated. “Career fairs are a wonderful way to learn about companies that you may never have heard of before and positions that you didn’t know existed. It might change everything for you!”

General studies freshman Emily Gottshall works with the Career Center and attended the recent Agriculture & Life Sciences Career Fair. She said she initially got connected to the Career Center through a class.

“I was in an Agriculture & Life Science seminar that required me to go to the Career Fair, but I’m very glad that they made me go,” Gottshall said. “If I hadn’t been required to go to the career fair, then I would have definitely gone on my own because it offers a lot of opportunities.”

Gottshall said she was glad she attended.

“When I went, I was connected to so many future jobs and just gave me an overall practice of being professional and talking to these people that might hire me one day,” Gottshall said. “Even if you’re not looking for something in particular, you might find something and be glad that you went.”

The Career Center is not just about helping students find an internship or full-time position, Wilson said. 

“It’s about providing professional development opportunities to transform student lives,” Wilson said. “Last year, the Career Center engaged with over 4,000 unique employers from all over the world. We say that once an organization hires an Aggie, they’ll come back for more!”