Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Career Closet receives $24K in donations

Photo by Olivia Adam

Members of A&M’s Student Senate unanimously approved an initiative to provide business professional attire to students during Wednesday’s meeting. 

The Student Senate voted Wednesday night to authorize the Career Closet initiative, a partnership between the Student Government Association and the Career Center that will loan professional attire to students in need.

The unanimous approval comes two weeks after the bill was first introduced and followed a brief presentation by Speaker of the Senate Aaron Mitchell, Municipal Affairs Vice President Wayne Beckermann and first year public service and administration master’s student Mason Parish. 

Mitchell said so far a $20,000 pledge from a private donor and another $4,000 from the Career Center has been pledged to the initiative. The funds from the Career Center come with the option to re-apply annually.

Additionally, Senate Finance Committee Chair Joseph Hood indicated $1,247 would be given to Career Closet under general SGA allocations, part of an overall $50,000 appropriations bill for 2015-2016. 

Mason Parish said in addition to already pledged funds, the Career Closet has launched a fundraising effort called “Stitched for Success.” With a donation of $250, Stitched for Success will purchase a new suit for the Career Closet inventory and stitch in the name of the benefactor in recognition of their philanthropy.

Wayne Beckermann said as the initiative gets off the ground, what they need most is student involvement. 

“We’re in the committee formation process,” Beckermann said “We’ve been approved, but internally we’re still developing and growing.” 

Beckermann said A&M students come from a real variety of backgrounds, and the goal of the Career Closet going forward will be to help give students the confidence to translate experience to meaning in professional environments. 

“Students come from so many different backgrounds,” Beckermann said “We [just] want to be able to help them showcase that student experience with confidence to their future employers.” 

Parish said over the past two weeks he has had the opportunity to talk to student senators individually about what the Career Closet will do, and looks forward to continuing this productive dialogue moving forward.

“Over the past two weeks I’ve had the chance to visit with you just on a one on one basis.” Parish said. “As we continue to move forward I want to make sure each of your concerns are addressed.”

Aaron Mitchell said he was happy to see the bill passed by the senate and is excited for what lies ahead.
“I’m very happy that the senate has voted to establish this committee,” Mitchell said. “And I look forward to seeing the job Wayne and Mason will do in getting Career Closet on its feet and providing a great service to students.”