Freshman Heather Abadie stalls out during the pole vaulting competition at the SEC Indoor Track and Field Championship on Saturday, Feb. 26, 2022.
Soaring for success
Youngchan Kang, JOUR 359 contributor • May 8, 2024

Supported by an athletic family background, junior Heather Abadie has continued to soar toward her ultimate Olympic goal as she sits atop Texas...

CARPOOL launches fundraising effort

Members of CARPOOL and B-CS Chamber of Commerce recognize collaboration between the two organizations by a ribbon cutting Monday evening. Photo by Nikita Redkar

CARPOOL announced its goal for expansion through coordinated efforts with the Bryan-College Station Chamber of Commerce at a ribbon-cutting ceremony Monday.
At the ceremony, CARPOOL members, Chamber of Commerce members, police officers and members of the community gathered together to celebrate the 15 years of service from CARPOOL, plans for expansion and a new “15 for 15” fundraising program.
Burl Haigwood, director of operations and public affairs for the B-CS Chamber of Commerce, said CARPOOL, which offers free rides Thursday through Saturday, came to the city in search of better ways to reach members outside of A&M.
“One, the reason they came to us is they want to expand their outreach beyond students,” Haigwood said. “They want to make their services known to a wider demographic. We are carrying that message to our membership because we also believe it is a great service, obviously drinking and driving is an issue for the state and our twin cities.”
Carrie Archer, manager of member services for the B-CS Chamber of Commerce, said CARPOOL is looking to step up promotion among the community. The perception among community members is that CARPOOL is solely for intoxicated college students, when in reality it is for all community members in need of a safe ride, drunk or sober. This coordination with the Chamber of Commerce is a collaborative community outreach campaign.
In addition to reaching out to community members, Monday marked the start of the “15 for 15” campaign, an effort by CARPOOL to raise $150,000 in donations by May, said Mary Monday, CARPOOL staff member.
Chelsea Hunt, CARPOOL staff member, said the $150,000 represents an entire year’s worth of operating budget.
Hunt said CARPOOL is looking for a new location that can accommodate the growing organization. Funding from the campaign will also provide CARPOOL with the opportunity to increase the efficiency and quality of operations.
Monday said she is excited for the growth within the organization because of the public service CARPOOL provides.
“My favorite part of CARPOOL is getting home at approximately 5:30 in the morning and crawling into bed completely exhausted, but knowing that you helped save people’s lives,” Monday said. “You helped keep the roads of Bryan-College Station safer.”
Jake Ingle, chairman of CARPOOL and political science senior, said the organization offers a chance for students to give back to the community.
“Most of us are not from here, but for the four years we are here in college, we call this home for while we are here,” Ingle said. “We really do care about this community, and we want to make sure that we give back to it and serve y’all.”
Students are able to donate by going online and donating, or by purchasing a T-shirt at carpool.tamu.edu/15for15.