Cartoon of the Day was indecent

In response to the Sept. 14 Cartoon of the Day “Commercial Aviation for Terrorists:”
We arehighlyupset and disappointed that you chose to printthe illustration. We often wonder about the material in The Battalion, but this cartoon crossed the line.
We have lost faith in you and your staff’s ability to cover the news. Because of that, we will no longer read The Battalion.
Steven Hatcher
Class of 2002

Just fly the flag

In response to the Sept. 18 mailcall “Show respect for the flag:”
I agree with you that the flag should be displayed properly, butI feel as if you are missing the point in this new-found patriotism.
In our country’s time of mourning, it seems rather petty to be soconcerned with how the flag is being displayed. To this date last year, a nationwide business recorded selling 10,000 American flags. Last week alone that same business sold more than 200,000 flags.
That alone speaks volumes for the patriotism and unity spreading over our great nation in the aftermath of its greatest tragedy. The flag is a symbol of unity, and to be concerned with the way it is displayed at a time like this only jeopordizes the overall importance of it being displayed.
A person’s ignorance of how the flag should be flown does not make them any less of a patriot. Rather than attacking this ignorance it would be nobler ofyou to attempt to educate them on the subject. It is better to fly the flag improperly than to not fly the flag at all.
Todd Wolford
Class of 2003

Bikes need to stay off sidewalks, in bike lanes

Recently, I have seen more and more bikes on the sidewalks. Bike lanes are made for bicycles and sidewalks are made for pedestrians who are walking or in a wheelchair.
If sidewalks were made for bicycles, they would be called bike walks or something. If the University is going to issue citations to pedestrians who cross the intersections with no walk signal, than I think they should issue citations to the bicycle riders who ride their bicycles on the sidewalks.
Some side walks on campus are exceptional, especially those in the middle of campus, but for those sidewalks that have a bike lane that runs right beside it there should be no exceptions.
It aggravates me when I have to move over on a sidewalk because a bicycle is either coming towards me or coming from behind me. So to PTTS, I hope that you will consider this and act upon the cyclists who ride on the sidewalks where there is a bike lane running parallel to the sidewalk.
Mark Woelfel
Class of 2001