CBS apologizes for R-rated Super Bowl halftime show

NEW YORK (AP) – CBS apologized on Sunday for an unexpectedly R-rated end to its Super Bowl halftime show, when singer Justin Timberlake tore off part of Janet Jackson’s top, exposing her breast.
”CBS deeply regrets the incident,” spokeswoman Leslie Anne Wade said after the network received several calls about the show.
The two singers were performing a flirtatious duet to end the halftime show, and at the song’s finish, Timberlake reached across Jackson’s leather gladiator outfit and pulled off the covering to her right breast.
The network quickly cut away from the shot, and did not mention the incident on the air.
It was unclear whether Timberlake intended to expose Jackson’s breast.Wade said CBS officials attended rehearsals of the halftime show all week, ”and there was no indication any such thing would happen. The moment did not conform to CBS’ broadcast standards and we would like to apologize to anyone who was offended.”
The Super Bowl halftime show, which also featured P. Diddy, Nelly and Kid Rock, was produced by MTV, CBS’ corporate cousin in Viacom.
”We were extremely disappointed by elements of the MTV-produced halftime show,” Joe Browne, NFL executive vice president, said. ”They were totally inconsistent with assurances our office was given about the content of the show.
”It’s unlikely that MTV will produce another Super Bowl halftime.”