Century Singers say goodbye to director of 25 years

After 25 years with the University, music director Jess Wade will retire, passing down the baton after Friday’s spring concert for the Century Singers.
Since 1988, Wade has been assistant coordinator of music at Texas A&M, conducting the Century Singers and the Women’s Chorus.
“How Can I Keep From Singing: A Celebration of 25 Years,” the Century Singers spring concert, will honor Wade’s many years of service to Texas A&M and celebrate his last concert as director.
Travis Campbell, senior music major and member of the Century Singers, said the repertoire is a collection of Wade’s favorite pieces during his time as director.
“It’s a good mix of different styles of music,” Campbell said. “It’s very eclectic so we believe there will be something there for everybody.”
Former Century Singers will also return to the stage once more to perform “Old Irish Blessing,” as well as a retirement reception following the performance.
“The reception is basically an opportunity for people who have been part of his career to celebrate his achievements and express their gratitude,” Campbell said.
Many members of the Century Singers and Women’s Chorus expressed their appreciation for Wade and his commitment to the organization.
“[Wade] is not just our director, he’s like our wise grandfather,” sophomore Cody Ponzio said. “He cares about our progress and he enjoys helping us out even if we may sometimes get on his nerves a bit. As students, it’s sad to see him leave, but it just means we have to make this last year even more special.”
Campbell said while the students have some angst with the departure of their director, they are nonetheless eager to welcome in a new face.
“When you get used to something great it’s hard to let it go, but we are still excited to meet the new director.” Campbell said.
Wade himself perceives the change as a bittersweet symphony.
“I’ve made many friends and have had great opportunities here at A&M making wonderful music,” Wade said. “All the same I look forward to going on to something new.”
Because Wade wishes to do plenty of traveling and resting after his retirement, the Century Singers and Women’s Chorus have arranged a travel fund for the director as a retirement gift so that he may fulfill his wish.
The concert will be held at 7:30 p.m. Friday night in Rudder Theatre. Tickets can be purchased at the MSC Box Office.