Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 11, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Ring Day run rule
Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • April 12, 2024

It was Ring Day in Aggieland when No. 3 Texas A&M faced off against No. 6 Vanderbilt on Friday night in the first game of a three-game set. The...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Chambers: A&M can achieve diversity

Texas A&M can achieve diversity through the reassessment of values, goals, history and tradition, said Dartmouth College’s former Associate Dean of Residential Life Christopher Chambers Thursday in the Sterling C. Evans Library.
“People need to transform through awareness,” said Chambers, who is also a former special assistant to the Dean at Dartmouth College. “People can be more diverse as long as we can teach (them) to be nice to each other.”
Junior history and political science major Amanda Payne said many speakers who come to A&M tone down their anti-discriminatory messages but that Chambers’ lecture on diversity was refreshing.
“We continually have denied that A&M has a huge deficiency of racial diversity, which cannot be solved with just education,” Payne said.
Chambers said diversity has made a significant impact on higher education, and that by 2050, whites will no longer be the majority. From 1980 to 2000, the number of Hispanic students nationwide has increased from 4 to 10 percent, blacks from 9 to 11 percent, Asians from 2 to 6 percent, Native Americans remain at 1 percent. The number of white students has decreased from 81 to 68 percent, Chambers said.
Chambers is pursuing a doctorate in sociology at A&M. He said University officials should focus on building an infrastructure, including who is on campus and who is not involved and wants to be involved.
“Steps have been made to diversify this campus, but we need continued effort,” Chambers said.
Jay Arekere, associate research scientist and associate director of race and ethnic studies institute at A&M, hopes that Chambers will help A&M’s campus become more diverse.
“Chambers has had successful experience in the past creating diversity programs at Dartmouth, and we hope he will be helpful in involving corporations and preparing this campus for diversity,” Arekere said.
Chambers said people will attempt to resist change, but that the University needs to make proposals, implement these proposals and make calculated risks to improve diversity.
Through research Chambers found that blacks tend to live in communities that are half black and half white, while whites tend to live in a dominantly white societies. He also used personal anecdotes to illustrate his point.
Chambers said people should be thoughtful of how diversity is presented.
“This change requires everyone,” Chambers said. “We need to think about it as diversity on campus rather than just interpersonally.