Chancellor: VP resignation is extension of current protocol

File

Chancellor Sharp speaks at a Board of Regents meeting in April.

In a move traditionally limited to university provosts, Chancellor John Sharp has requested resignations from all A&M vice presidents and special advisers ahead of incoming A&M president Michael Young’s term.

In a memo released Thursday, the vice presidents were asked to submit their resignations to Young by May 1, 2015. In turn, Young is expected to accept or decline them by May 1, 2016.

“Michael Young will get to spend a year or less, however long he feels he needs to, to work with all of these folks, and he might very well decide, ‘I love them all and I am going to keep them all,’” Sharp said. 

Sharp said provost resignations are common before a new president comes into office. Sharp said his request for the resignation of vice presidents is an extension of this frequent action. 

“All of the vice presidents know that the new president could dismiss them on day one, not only by state, but by university rules, but by state laws,” Sharp said. “I don’t know if the vice presidents have been asked to formally offer their resignations, but I know that future presidents will hope that this will continue, formalizing a process that already exists.”

Shane Hinckley, vice president of marketing and communication and university spokesperson,  said this decision is something expected among the president’s executive team.

“It is generally understood that members of the president’s executive team — executive vice presidents, vice presidents and special assistants to the president, et cetera — serve at the pleasure of the president of Texas A&M,” Hinckley said. 

Hinckley said shifts in administration are typical when leadership roles change.

“It is common for new presidents to form an administrative team to lead the university in a manner they feel is best suited to their leadership style and the success of Texas A&M,” Hinckley said. “The directive from the Chancellor reaffirms what is generally understood to be a normal sequence of events when a new president is selected.”

Student Body President Joseph Benigno said although he has been reassured this is not a concern, there is a chance it could affect SGA as a whole.

“We have a working relationship with the vice presidents, so this certainly could effect as as SGA and therefore the student body,” Benigno said.