Junior Adela Cernousek tees off during the Bryan Regional of the NCAA Women’s Golf Championship at Traditions Golf Club on Monday, May 6, 2024. (Chris Swann/ The Battalion)
Cernousek captures individual national title as Aggies advance to NCAA quarterfinals

It didn’t take long for Texas A&M athletics to add another accolade to its trophy case. Just a day after the Aggies’ women’s tennis...

Charity ball raises funds for youth of Texas

%26%23160%3B

The Bryan-College Station area is continually growing and changing. While many new additions have been made to revamp the community, many still lack necessity and direction within the city limits. There are many organizations throughout the area, but one in particular stands completely devoted to bettering the lives of the others in the area. Through leadership, volunteering and education, the Ladies of the Junior League take on service in Bryan-College Station with style.
The Junior League of Bryan-College Station began in 1982 with 108 members. Today, the Junior League has grown to include over 400 women actively participating in volunteer service across the Brazos Valley. Trudy Bennett, president and long-time member, came to the Junior League with a big heart, matched with big ideas.
“What first drew me to the Junior League was helping the children” Bennett said. “I’m currently in my eighth year and have loved every moment since.”
The Charity Ball is the Junior League’s biggest fundraiser of the season. Saturday, the guests traveled back in time to the Roaring ’20s, donning their black ties and vintage dresses. Complete with music provided by the Lone Star Swing Syndicate, flip book booths, silent auction and raffle, the Charity Ball will attract attendants from across Texas. Darby Johnson, public relations chairwoman was especially excited to see the turnout for Saturday evening.
“It isn’t very often that we have black tie events in our community,” Johnson said. “This is a great opportunity to get dressed up and support the children and youth of Bryan-College Station.”
The money raised from the Charity Ball goes to “Stuff the Bus,” a program assisting children in need get school supplies each year.
“Many parents are unable to purchase school supplies for their children,” Bennett said. “On the first day of school, we make sure that these kids have everything they need and more for a great education.”
To be admitted into the Junior League, one must be 25 years of age and be a resident of Bryan-College Station. Until then, the Junior League is always looking for people to help out with their many volunteer-based projects through the Boys and Girls Club and the Brazos Valley Food Bank.
“There are so many opportunities for anyone to assist with the Junior League,” Bennett said. “We can always use an extra hand.”