Junior INF Koko Wooley (3) catches the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on April 7th, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 12, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Troubles in ‘Loosa
Braxton Dore, Sports Writer • April 13, 2024

After taking the home series over Kentucky last weekend, No. 12 Texas A&M softball received a well-deserved break over the week before traveling...

Ring Day run rule
Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Cingular offers to buy AT&T Wireless

ATLANTA – Cingular Wireless has fired first in a potential bidding war to buy AT&T Wireless, offering more than $27 billion cash for a deal that would create the nation’s largest cell phone company.
AT&T Wireless’ board of directors received a formal offer from Cingular over the weekend, several sources with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday on condition of anonymity.
But three other wireless companies have also contacted AT&T Wireless to express strong interest in buying the company, one of the sources said. It was unclear how formal an overture has been made by any of those suitors – Vodafone PLC of Britain, NTT DoCoMo of Japan, and Nextel Communications of Reston, Va.
The Cingular offer includes a premium over AT&T Wireless’ closing market value on Friday of $9.99 per share, or $27 billion, another of the sources said.
However, with shares of AT&T Wireless rising 40 cents to $10.39 on Tuesday, padding last week’s 20 percent gain driven by takeover speculation, a prospective buyer may need to exceed the company’s new market value of more than $28 billion. In addition, any buyer would also need to assume AT&T Wireless’ debts, which totaled $6.1 billion at the end of the third quarter.
Officials from AT&T Wireless and Cingular declined to comment. AT&T Wireless’ board of directors was expected to wrap up a previously scheduled meeting in Florida later Tuesday.
Analysts did not expect a deal right away with so many parties showing interest.
While AT&T Wireless has struggled with the industry’s price wars and the huge investments needed to expand and upgrade its network, rivals are envious of the company’s large base of business customers, who tend to buy higher-priced calling packages and premium services such as wireless Internet access.
”This is going to take a while,” said Patrick Comack, a telecommunications analyst with Guzman and Company in Miami. ”Vodafone is not going to let this go without a fight. And if they try to fight, NTT DoCoMo will try to block them.”
Cingular, jointly owned by SBC Communications and BellSouth, still doesn’t own spectrum in several key U.S. markets. A deal with AT&T Wireless, which uses the same cellular technology, could help fill in many of those gaps, while cutting costs for the merged operation.NTT DoCoMo, a rival to Vodafone in many countries with an eye on expansion, already owns 16 percent of AT&T Wireless and has two representatives on the U.S. company’s board.
Vodafone already owns 45 percent of U.S. market leader Verizon Wireless. But as one of the world’s biggest cell phone companies, the British firm is said to be dissatisfied with settling for such a passive role in a market as crucial as the United States. Verizon also uses a different cellular technology than Vodafone, while AT&T Wireless uses the same standard, making its network an easier fit for any international services Vodafone might sell its subscribers.
Nextel, meanwhile, doesn’t have a high-speed wireless Internet service to offer its sizable base of business customers, a competitive disadvantage that AT&T Wireless recently addressed with a $300 million upgrade to its network.
A merger between Cingular and AT&T Wireless would vault the combined company into the top slot in terms of U.S. market share, while an agreement with Nextel would create a competitor close in size to No. 1 Verizon.
But a deal with either would also slim the field of national wireless carriers from six to five, possibly easing the fierce competition sparked by a new federal rule that lets customers switch carriers without losing their phone numbers.
Atlanta-based Cingular is currently the nation’s second-largest wireless carrier with 23.4 million voice and data customers. Verizon, based in Bedminster, N.J., has 36.0 million subscribers, while AT&T Wireless is No. 3 with 21.9 million. All of those tallies were calculated as of the end of September.
Cingular, with annual revenue of about $15 billion, has been adding customers steadily the last several quarters, helping boost the earnings of its parent companies. BellSouth releases its fourth-quarter and year-end earnings on Thursday.
AT&T Wireless, based in Redmond, Wash., has annual revenue of $16.5 billion.