City of College Station to build a visual and performing arts center

The city of College Station is developing a visual and performing arts center that will be made available to the community. According to Charles Cryan, the fiscal services director of College Station, construction on the building should begin in 12 to 18 months.
Officials still are in the planning stage of the project and expect the arts center to be completed within two to three years.
“The visual and performing arts center will be located on the East side of College Station at the intersection of University Drive and Highway 30,” Cryan said.
Along with many other components, the arts center is intended to include two theaters. One will be able to hold 1,100 to 1,200 people, and the other 200 to 300 people.
“The theaters will have a number of different uses, such as plays and lectures. Classrooms will also be made available for University functions and public use,” Cryan said.
An estimated $12 to $15 million will be needed to fund the arts center, he said. Funding for the project will come from gifts, grants, donations and possibly a tax increase. Officials are asking the citizens of College Station to approve a revenue tax increase of two percent. The tax will be assessed to people who rent hotels and motels within College Station. To implement the tax increase, the City Council first must call for an election, and citizens must approve the tax, Cryan said.
“The visual and performing arts center will certainly offer many cultural opportunities to the community of College Station. The center will provide the citizens of College Station with some of the same opportunities that are available to students at Texas A&M University,” Cryan said.
The City of College Station is also planning to improve the quality of its parks by implementing parks maintenance standards. The city will begin to establish intergenerational park design standards for new parks and will retrofit current parks as the opportunity arises.
According to Curtis Bingham, the Parks Operations Superintendent, the City Council has made a five-year goal to meet standards in every type of park.
“Athletic facilities, picnic areas, tennis courts, basketball courts, volleyball courts, ponds, and general recreational parks are all involved in the City Council’s plan to improve the quality of its parks,” Bingham said.
An estimated $25,000 is included in the proposed budget for park replacement and restoration funding. According to Bingham, capital funds, bond funds and park land dedication funds also will be used to finance the operations.
“Improving the quality of parks and recreational facilities in College Station will benefit the whole community,” Bingham said. ” New parks and facilities will be created and current parks will be restored in order to offer the citizens of College Station improved recreational opportunities.”