Class of 1962 to hold 55 year reunion

Class of ’62

Aggieland will welcome back the Class of 1962 to commemorate more than five decades of Texas A&M tradition this week.
In addition to their 55th reunion, the Class of ‘62 will officially be inducted into the Sul Ross Group, an alumni chapter made up of Aggies who have celebrated 55 years or more since graduation. The reunion will take place at the Hilton Hotel and Conference Center in College Station on March 22 to 24. The celebration will include a Sul Ross Group banquet, a group luncheon and Student Body President, Hannah Wimberly as one of the keynote speakers.
The Sul Ross Group has been a tradition at Texas A&M for 70 years but has changed since it was first introduced, according to Vice President of The Association of Former Students Kathryn Greenwade.
“From this point forward, [the Class of 1962’s] primary reunion each year will take place as a part of the Sul Ross Group,” Greenwade said. “The Sul Ross Group was established in 1947 and originally included those classes who had been on campus while Lawrence Sullivan Ross was president of the college. Today the group includes all classes who have been out of school for 55 years or longer.”
Class agent Dennis Meadows, who was involved in the Corps of Cadets and Aggie Band, said he misses the time he spent with college friends and looks forward to reuniting with them this upcoming week.
“It makes one realize how fast one’s life goes by and how important it is to nurture what is really important: faith, family and friends,” Meadows said. “[I’m] looking forward to seeing my Aggie Buddies again at the reunion.”
Ron Treat is also a class agent and a former writer for The Battalion. Although Texas A&M was an all-boy military school then, Treat said he and his classmates had the time of their lives while at the university.
“During my first year at A&M, my “fish ol’ lady” (roommate) picked up one of the Band’s snare drums outside Duncan Mess Hall one evening, walked to the fish lot and deposited it into the trunk of his 1957 Plymouth Fury,” Treat said. “Later, one night he carried the drum to our room where we painted a pink elephant footprint on it … we took the newly decorated drum and left it in the quad in front of the band dorm. Needless to say, our outfit was not very popular among Band members after that.  In fact, we had a few water fights with them as a result of our escapades.  However, our upperclassmen loved it and classified it as ‘good bull.’”
As the reunion date approaches, class agent Greg Garcia said he is honored to join a bigger Aggie family.
“ As a class agent, [I’m] even prouder as my classmates have confidence in my leadership & representation of Class of ’62 with Former Students and other organizations in the Aggie Network …” Garcia said. “Fortunately most of my family, daughter, son-in-law, nephews, nieces,  godsons, are also aggies. When I attended A&M it was an all-male college. Even though my wife is not formally an Aggie she is the greatest Aggie, has her sweetheart ring, and definitely the wind beneath my wings. I thank the Lord every morning.”