Class presidents elected to preserve tradition

Class Councils was founded at Texas A&M University in 1880, but some students have never heard of the councils that represent them. Students thought of class councils after realizing a need for members of each class to unite the campus. Class Councils currently consists of 150-200 undergraduate students, including four class presidents.
I havent heard about them, but I think it would be nice to know more about them and what they do around campus, said Britney Ramos, freshman bilingual education major.
Class Councils works behind the scenes to make sure traditions such as Maroon Out and Ring Dance go smoothly.
More students should definitely know about Class Councils, said Trent Segers, senior industrial distribution major and Class of 2013 president. It is a fantastic organization that does many of the things that A&M is known for. For example, without Class Councils, Maroon Out would not exist and the 12th Man might not be what it is today.
Class Councils strives to serve and unite Texas A&M University and to enhance traditions for the continual improvement of the Aggie community, according to the mission statement. During spring elections, members of the sophomore, junior and senior classes elect a president, whereas members of the freshman class elect a president to Fish Council in the fall. Students of any classification wanting to run for class representatives can apply for positions in the fall.
My favorite part about being in Class Councils is the opportunity to truly impact Texas A&M through facilitating traditions such as Elephant Walk, Ring Dance and Maroon Out, Segers said. I have had a chance to lead Class Councils through being the 2013 class president the last three years and this organization is unlike any other on our campus.
These representatives make up the four class councils, each of which is headed by their respective class president. The Fish Council hosts Fish Fest, a free food and live bands event only for members of the freshmen class. The sophomore council organizes a mass “pull-out day in the late spring, where sophomores can officially whoop. The junior council and senior council work together to put on E-Walk and Junior E-Walk. The juniors walk around campus and celebrate becoming seniors. Seniors take a different walking route as they remember their time at A&M.
Beginning freshman year, each class raises money to help fund a class gift to benefit the University. Members of each class vote on the gift during spring elections of their junior year. The class gift is revealed at E-Walk the fall of their senior year. In previous years, class gifts have ranged from scholarships, building renovations or campus art.
Together, Class Councils also hosts events such as Maroon Out, Ring Dance, 11/11 Day, Class Stars and Silver Taps Remembrance.
Class Councils are very important to this campus, said Alex Gaines, freshman math major. I just wish they were more visible around campus.