Club hosts attorney general candidate

Cody Franklin — THE BATTALION Attorney general candidate Sam Houston stands with Texas Aggie Democrats after its Wednesday Meeting.

Democratic Attorney General Candidate Sam Houston stopped at Texas A&M on his campaign trail Wednesday night at the Texas Aggie Democrats meeting.
“As part of our campaign, we think it is important to spread the message and part of the message is to the university democrats at all the schools,” Houston said.
Political science senior Angela Ghazizadeh said she went to the event to learn about Houston’s campaign platform.
“I hadn’t really heard of him and I just wanted to come out and see what he’s about and he seems to care a lot about Texas and a lot about education,” Ghazizadeh said.
Houston said he has been all over the state, visiting towns of every size and speaking to college democrats whenever he had the chance because he wants to spread his message.
“My message is that [in] the attorney general’s office, which is one of the largest agencies in the state, it’s important that you have an attorney you can trust and a head of the office that you can trust,” Houston said. “I have the experience and the background and the integrity in my years of practice to handle that office efficiently well.”
Houston said the office of attorney general is one that can do great good.
“I have a lot of experience working as an attorney in the private sector and I want to take that experience and take the office back to a place where it’s not as political and an office where it can help people in many ways — consumer protection, environmental protection, education and all the things that are, I think, important to everyone in Texas,” Houston said.
After giving a speech on these key issues of his platform, those in attendance were able to take a picture or speak personally to Houston.
“He’s a really nice guy,” economics junior Andrew Metscher said. “It’s nice to get a chance to talk to a candidate one on one. He’s also a bright man — he handled questions from the audience very well, he knew what they were talking about and he could answer it in all the technicalities that he needed.”
Metscher said he believes Houston stands for great principles, especially education.
Houston said the attorney general is the chief law enforcement office of the state, working in an office of nearly 700 lawyers and 4,000 people.
“The office represents the state in just about everything, whether it’s giving advice to the legislature, doings things like ruling whether records should be provided by the government, child support modification, representing the state in lawsuits, representing agencies in lawsuits,” Houston said.
Houston said it is important for college students to be involved with all levels of government because soon, getting jobs and starting families will all be a part of what life is and it’s important to know the process of government.
“Understanding the process and thinking about candidates who are talking about the things that matter are important for all people, especially college students,” Houston said.