Coffee research center looks behind the scenes of the popular drink and its industry

Coffee+Feature
Photo by Photo by Josh Gleason
Coffee Feature

A group of faculty, staff and students at Texas A&M is changing the coffee industry through research and public education programs.
Located on West Campus, the Center for Coffee Research and Education is committed to providing information about what is needed to sustain the diverse industry.
Program coordinator Rodrigo Chavez said the center spreads information about how coffee is harvested, processed and priced, as well has how the cost of coffee affects the lives of farmers.
Since the facility’s establishment in September of 2016, Chavez said the goal has been to educate the public on the coffee industry and establish A&M as a global leader in coffee research.
“Trying to set up the first coffee campus at Texas A&M will allow students and faculty, as well as people from the community, to get educated and take courses on how to be a barista, how to process coffee and how to properly become a roaster,” Chavez said.
The center provides opportunities for students to get involved through the Texas A&M Coffee Club and a horticulture study abroad program led by the center’s staff.
“Any student can join the coffee club,” Horticulture senior Kelsey Wentling said. “The study abroad is also a great opportunity to learn more about coffee. You get a chance to go to Guatemala and learn about the process hands-on and meet different farmers. It’s an honor that Texas A&M has this coffee center.”
For those interested in learning more about the coffee industry, the Center for Coffee Research and Education will conduct a seminar on Nov. 8.
“We are going to have a two-day coffee seminar that will be open to the public,” Chavez said. “Students will have a large discount and we will teach a little about each part of the coffee production process.”
Leonardo Lombardini, director of the center and adviser for the Texas A&M Coffee Club, said a significant goal for the facility is to change the way the world understands this popular commodity.
“I would like to see more education about coffee,” Lombardini said. “Like when people buy a bottle of wine from a specific region. It’s not just about sounding fancy, it’s about giving back to the farmers. If they can sell their coffee at a higher price because it’s certified, that would be great ­­— even if we can just achieve this with the A&M community.”