Cold front brings arctic air to Texas, sleet and snow expected

A cold front brought a blast of arctic air to Texas, threatening much of the state with snow, sleet or a wintry mix Monday night.
South Texas will see a chance of a wintry mix of precipitation from the Hill Country to the northern Piney Woods, rain scattered elsewhere. Lows Monday night will range from the 20s in the Hill Country to the 30s and 40s elsewhere, with 50s along the coast.
The front howled across North Texas on Sunday, bringing gusty and occasionally damaging winds.
In Tyler, gusts measured at up to 46 mph toppled trees and caused widespread power outages that had repair crews scrambling Sunday afternoon and night.
As many as 1,000 East Texans found themselves without power in East Texas, TXU Energy spokeswoman Kimberly Morgan told the Tyler Morning Telegraph. The lights were back on in almost all areas by Monday morning.
McKinney, just north of Dallas, measured a 58 mph gust before noon Sunday.
Temperatures plummeted from the 70s ahead of the front to below freezing after nightfall Sunday. The front ignited some thunderstorms in Southeast Texas, with marble-sized hail reported near Lake Livingston.
The National Weather Service predicted frigid temperatures for North Texas Monday night. Sleet and freezing rain was likely south and southeast of the Dallas-Fort Worth area, with a chance of sleet, snow or a wintry mix of precipitation elsewhere in the region. Tuesday will remain cloudy and cold. Lows Monday night are expected to fall into the 20s. Highs Tuesday will remain in the 30s.
West Texas and the Panhandle will see a chance of sleet or snow Monday night and early Tuesday, with patchy drizzle later Tuesday. Lows Monday night will be in the teens in the Panhandle and in the 20s elsewhere, but in the 30s in far West Texas. Highs Tuesday will be in the 30s, with 50s and lower 60s in far West Texas.