Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Committee chooses director of Dining Services for A&M system

Former Director of Licensing and Intellectual Management David Riddle has been named the director of Dining Services of the Texas A&M University system.
“My background was in food but I joined the office of technology commercialization after I finished my MBA at A&M,” Riddle said. “But I always wanted to get back to food and customer service.”
Riddle will be in charge of more than 30 Dining Services locations.
Lallah Howard, vice president of business affairs, had been filling in and working with the Dining Services team in the abscence of an official director.
“He had really strong leadership skills and had a really strong understanding of Texas A&M and how things are done on campus,” Howard said. “We have over the last few months developed a strategic plan and he will be the one to help implement the plan.”
Riddle has plans for the future of Dining Services including producing revenue to invest in facilities, upgrading dining facilities and working on menus.
“What Dining Services need most is a strategy to be profitable enough in order to reinvest in the facilities and also in our people,” Riddle said. “In terms of training and making sure they have the latest skills.”
The small changes Riddle plans to have in place by the coming year are to revamp the simply fresh food line, the premade sandwiches and salads students can purchase, and to improve the quality of the coffee that is provided.
Riddle will create an advisory committee of students in order to get their perspective from the main costumers that campus food provides for.
Brittany Burns, who is on the Dining Services Representative Council, said Riddle is a great match.
“I believe that David Riddle is the right person,” said the junior marketing major. “Everything he has expressed to us has been with the goal of providing value, quality and service to an organization that has struggled in the past.”
Burns advised students to go to open forum meetings to discuss Dining Services and become part of the decision making.
Logan Nichols, co-chairman of the committee and senior agricultural economics major, said he enjoys making an impact on the student body.
“We truly get to voice our concerns for the constituency that we represent, and we work to make sure that students needs are met,” Nichols said. “I hope that when I am done on this committee, I can say that I have made dining better for the students on this campus, and I know every member wishes the same.”
To offset the closing of food locations because of the Memorial Student Center renovations, Riddle plans to have carts placed throughout campus to sell coffee, sandwiches and snacks.
“We have a pretty cool cart that we are getting remodeled right now that we are going to place right across from the MSC,” Riddle said. “We want to make sure that students in the center part of campus can still get food and coffee as well.”
Other carts are planned for Rudder Plaza and the West Campus Library.
Riddle said his goal as director is to improve the quality and consistency of food offered around campus. He recommended students get meal plans to use at Sbisa and Duncan dining halls.
“I have been a customer, I have been on the other side, not at just another university but actually here.”