Conference to celebrate Women’s Day

Photo by File

The International Women’s Day Conference held last year was put on by five different organizations.

The fifth-annual International Women’s Day Conference will once again celebrate women’s month by recognizing the diversity of the Aggie family and emphasize the importance of women in leadership.
Student organizations Feminists for Reproductive Equity and Education, Feminism for Aggies, and Mosaic Flowers will team up with the American Association of University Women and the Women’s Resource Center for the annual conference on Tuesday March 7th. Women’s Organization for Motivation, Expression, and Nurturing will host an additional event for International Women’s Day on Wednesday March 8th.
Both events will include presentations showcasing women achievements around the world for registered participants. The conference will take place on Tuesday in the Memorial Student Center from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m and the Women’s day Celebration will take place on Wednesday in Rudder Auditorium from 6 to 8 p. m.
Founder and president of WOMEN and chemical engineering grad student Prerna Jain said she is excited for this year’s c because she said it aims celebrate diversity and the global achievements of women around the world.
“I believe it is important to host such an event at Texas A&M’s campus as this is a way to celebrate the accomplishments of women at Texas A&M and the community at large.” Jain said. “We at the WOMEN organization believe that it is important to recognize the accomplishments of women from all backgrounds because this would lead to higher dignity and self-respect for women.”
In addition to increasing diversity, WOMEN Events and Marketing leader Carla Zamalis said she believes the conference will show how women are willing to uplift and encourage one another through difficult times.
“With the recent ‘Chalk Talk’ incident, Brock Turner’s hearing last year and certain sexist issues that have occurred on our own campus, I think it is good to show the bright side of things,”  Zamalis said. “It’s good to show that there exists such an organization that stands for supporting women, embracing our strengths and standing together.”
President of Feminists for Reproductive Equity & Education and political science junior Emmalea Laningham said she looks forward to the International Women’s Day conference because she hopes it will give women of all backgrounds a chance for their voices to be heard.
“By sharing the individual experiences of women, the International Women’s Day conference aims to define, confront, and challenge the inequality faced by women internationally,” Laningham said. “Texas A&M’s campus will be afforded a diversity of international experiences from female perspectives that have been silenced in other regions of the world. Hopefully, Aggies will gain knowledge that will inspire them to improve the lives of women and communities globally and drive positive change.”