Congratulations to Texas A&M for 125 years

As Texas A&M embarks on another century, a look at past events rekindles the ever-so- grand traditions at Texas A&M. As we move forward to celebrate 125 years of A&M, we tip our hats and salute all those responsible for keeping the Aggie spirit alive.
On Oct. 4 1876, A&M opened its doors and welcomed six eager young men. Enrollment grew rapidly, and by the end of the year there were 103 men attending the A&M College of Texas. The first institution of higher learning was built on this soil. But as it has evolved and changed, it has managed to maintain the traditional Aggie culture.
To graduate from A&M means more than a diploma, it means being part of a family and a network that is larger than words can quantify. Leadership, spirit and Aggie morale have helped A&M remain strong and endure 125 years.
The leaders of A&M have shaped our unique culture. Lawrence Sullivan Ross, A&M president from 1891 to 1898, fought to keep the University open. James Earl Rudder, president from 1959 – 1970, was a visionary who changed the nature of the University by transforming it from a military school to a world-class university. Our current president, Dr. Ray M. Bowen, has been one of the most progressive presidents and has developed a vision for the University to focus for the future.
There is something about A&M that keeps attracting new generations. Students, faculty and administrators come from all around to feel the spirit that from the outside looking in cannot be understood and from the inside looking out cannot be explained. People are drawn to this University because they feel a sense of mission or purpose. Part of its uniqueness is its steadfast traditions such as the corps, loyal Aggie alumni, Silver Taps and the Aggie ring.
Aggies have kept their traditions close to heart, while A&M has evolved into a top national university. As A&M continues to expand its visions and set new goals, the values that are held so dear to every Aggie will forever thrive in our hearts.
A&M is our home and Aggies are our family. From the first day of class in 1876 to now, Aggies have multiplied and legacies have flourished. Traditions have grown, and that faithful spirit has touched innumerable lives all across the world. If it were not for our loyal leaders and steady morale, this University would not have prospered as it has.
Aggie alumni, current students and future generations should celebrate A&M’s birthday and help keep the Aggie vitality alive as we create new visions and strive for goals to improve and uphold the heritage of the University we are all so proud to be a part of.
Editorial Board
Brady Creel – Editor in Chief
Mariano Castillo – Managing Editor
Cayla Carr – Opinion Editor
Jonathan Jones – Opinion Editor
Rolando Garcia – News Editor