Construction on Traditions Golf Course to continue

The final hurdle for building the new Traditions Golf Course was cleared Tuesday when the Bryan City Council voted to relinquish control of the land for the course to the Melrose Corporation.
The vote passed unanimously with the only amendment being that Melrose Corp. would be an equal partner with the city of Bryan. The previous plan called for the city to be a subordinate partner.
The Traditions Golf Course, which has been delayed since construction began in October 2002, will be home to the Texas A&M men’s and women’s golf team for both practice and matches.
The 18-hole course, co-designed by golf legend Jack Nicklaus and son Jack Nicklaus II, will also include an indoor practice studio, player lounge, locker rooms and a study area for the golf teams, Higgins said.
The course is located on 240 acres in Bryan, approximately five miles from campus.
Melrose Corp., a recreational community and club development company, began construction on the site last fall without the council’s approval, and construction was halted. The company’s owners needed the final go-ahead from the council in order to continue construction and open the golf course this fall.
The city council had sharply debated the project at earlier meetings.
“We’re very excited,” said A&M Head Coach J.T. Higgins. “It’s the final hurdle for us, and to see it passed unanimously was big.”
Melrose Corp. will use the land as collateral in order to receive an $8 million loan from Gold Bank of Oklahoma City to fund construction of the course and facilities.
The land surrounding the golf course is still owned by the city’s development subsidiary, the Bryan Commerce and Development Corporation, and will be developed at a later date, most likely for high-end homes or possibly a hotel, according to the Bryan-College Station Eagle.