Corps group to celebrate 50 years of inclusion

The celebration of the 50th year of Texas A&M integration will continue with “Fifty years of Inclusion: A Cultural Infusion,” an interactive panel that will bring former and current students together to discuss A&M’s progress in diversity – and the work it has ahead.
The Thursday event is presented by the Cultural Awareness and Diversity Expansion Team, CADET, and will host panelists who had a hand in making campus more inclusive, including Malcom Hall, Class of 1963 student body president, who worked with other campus leaders and former University President James
Earl Rudder to integrate African Americans and women into campus.
Keltin Jordan, senior supply chain management major and CADET program director, said CADET is a special unit within the Corps of Cadets that focuses on diversity and education to increase minority enrollment in the Corps. He said the panelists were chosen based on who he felt could provide a variety of thoughts and opinions.
“[The event will give a] better understanding of A&M history, progression over the last 50 years and where we want A&M to be in the next 50 years,” Jordan said. “We realize that we’re not really where we want to be right now but we’ve made great strides and maybe we’ll get where we want to be in next 50 [years].”
Jordan said he understands just how important inclusion at A&M was and still is, especially because of the era in which the 1963 referendum that opened campus was passed.
“Just because of the time frame that this happened and society’s viewpoint at that time, for it to pass, we’re able to have the advantages that we have today,” Jordan said. “I’m just so privileged to have access to the Aggie network. [Without the referendum], maybe I wouldn’t have been here.”
Dennis Richard, senior engineering technology major and commanding officer of CADET, said he realizes how important Hall’s work has been for the history of the University.
“[Inclusion was] a tremendous feat,” Richard said. “We’re 50 years in and people won’t forget all the work all those involved did. [Hall] wanted to do the right thing. Keeping his work recognized and making sure that people know about the work those men and women did [is important] and they can always be remembered here at Texas A&M.”
Cleveland Jones, senior bioenvironmental sciences major and executive officer of CADET, said he wanted the audience of the event to get a deeper understanding of A&M’s history and the importance of diversity.
“I really want people to take away that unity and inclusion really helps this University and the world,” Jones said. “You can’t really get anywhere if you have one type of person with one train of thought, doing the same thing.”
The event will be at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in MSC 2300. Admission is free and open to the public.