Corps hosts first ‘Holiday on the Quad’

With lights, movies, hot chocolate and Christmas carols, the Corps of Cadets kicked off the first “Holiday on the Quad” Sunday night.
Addison Jaynes, international studies junior and co-director of Holiday on the Quad, said the event was designed as a benefit for the Corps philanthropy, March of Dimes, and was a way to give back to Bryan-College Station for all of its support.
The entire Quad was decorated for the event with everything from lights to blown-up polar bears. Jaynes said the decorations were actually a competition between the different Corps units.
“Every major unit, which is essentially a dorm, is competing with other units,” Jaynes said. “Essentially it’s a competition to see who can decorate their predetermined area of the Quad the best.”
Christian Lawson, Holiday on the Quad co-director and agricultural leadership and development junior, said the event ties in well with the Corps goal to interact more outside of the cadets.
“One of the things that the Corps has been trying to do a lot this year is to try and develop a better relationship with more off-the-Quad organizations and the non-reg students,” Lawson said.
Jaynes said the Corps had multiple partners to help organize the group including Aggies for Christ, fraternities and sororities, along with smaller clubs.
Jon Cluck, agricultural leadership and development junior, said the event was a great opportunity for the community to interact with cadets and other A&M students. Cluck said he was happily surprised by the response and turnout the night received.
“I really didn’t know what to expect coming in, but there are definitely more people than I expected,” Cluck said. “I think next year there will be a lot more people and that it will definitely catch a lot more traction.”
Amanda Schwede, Corps academic adviser and attendee, said she was amazed at the turnout.
“This whole setup is really festive and really fun,” Schwede said. “It has turned out so amazing and I’m excited to see what they do with the event in the future.”
Lawson said the hope is Holiday on the Quad will be a new Aggie tradition for years to come.
“We’re hoping that it’s enjoyable enough and that people will have enough fun that its something that we can really grow,” Lawson said. “Next year they are going to start renovating the Quad so we want to take that and push everything forward and just make this really, in years to come, to where the entire Quad is decked out in lights from head to toe.”
Holiday on the Quad is completely student run.
“They took the time out of studying and out of their lives to make sure this event was a success,” Schwede said. “It says a lot about the students. I can’t wait to see what it will turn into next year.”