Corps of Cadets over the summer

Photo by Cristian Aguirre

The Corps of Cadets are a long-standing tradition at Texas A&M University.

Over the summer the Corps of Cadets stay busy by preparing for the upcoming year and spend most of their time recruiting new hopeful Cadets at New Student Conferences.
Cadets taking summer classes can volunteer to recruit for the Corps and their specific outfits. They will engage with incoming freshmen to explain what the Corps of Cadets is all about.
Sam Hawes, assistant commandant for recruiting colonel, said the cadets will attend the New Student Conferences in an attempt to identify and relate to the freshmen who are interested in joining the Corps.
“Once a student is accepted into Texas A&M they register and join at their New Student Conference.” Hawes said “We have cadets here over the summer who volunteer to help us recruit for the Corps and for their outfits.”
Accounting senior Crispin Cory of Squadron 23 said that the tactic of speaking to new students is similar to what other on-campus organizations do.
“A lot of MSC organizations speak at Rudder and then we do our part [speaking about] overall traditions that stem from the Corps, and the Corps at large,” Cory said.
Wildlife and fisheries sciences senior Audrey Holstead of S-1 said while roles over the summer vary for a cadet, her role is focused on recruiting.
“For me personally, I’m just here to recruit for my outfit, to get high school kids that are joining the university to get interested specifically in Company S-1 which is the unit I’m from,” Holstead said.
Holstead said the recruiting process during New Student Conferences can look like an open house throughout the Quad, with stops including the Leadership Learning Center, a multi-floor study area near the cadet’s dorms, and other symbolic areas.
“We also have some special events, tours throughout a Leadership Learning Center in the Quad followed by a question and answer sessions,” Holstead said.
Political science senior Michael Vitacca of Squadron 1 said that finding the correct unit for incoming freshman is a top priority.
“We try to get the unit that best fits their personality so we can help them develop as leaders and just kind of get them ready for the beginning of the school year,” Vitacca said.
Vitacca also said that recruiting was not the only thing the Corps is working on this summer. Learning how to represent their organization and university is another high priority for the cadets.
“The other part is that the Corps is still representing the university, that never really goes away,” Vitacca said. “So be it at the Bush School, or in a parade or a conference, or helping high school ad- visors learn about the Corps, we are still representing the Corps and getting our name out there.”