Corps selects first female commander in 139-year history

Texas A&M Corps of Cadets Office photo by Matt Willis 

Forty years ago, the Corps of Cadets first allowed women into its ranks. Now, in the upcoming academic year, it will be led by one.
Alyssa Michalke will serve as the first female Corps commander in the Corps of Cadets’ 139 year history. She will take command of the 2,400-plus member unit, the largest of its type in the nation except for the service academies.
Current Corps Commander David Trigg informed Michalke of her appointment, which will be formally assumed on May 9 at the Final Review process, a ceremony in which seniors lead their units in a march for the last time and hand over the reins to the new leaders.
“So it will be the first time the junior class, the Class of 2016 gets to put on their boots,” Trigg said. “At that time they will lead their first march-in onto Simpson Drill field and I will transition my role as Corps commander to Alyssa Michalke during Final Review, in that ceremony.”
Trigg said Michalke looks forward to this opportunity to lead.
“She’s excited and feels very privileged and humbled for the opportunity to serve and I’m excited to see what she can do,” Trigg said.
Michalke is a junior with majors in ocean and civil engineering and presently serves as Corps sergeant major, the highest rank for any cadet who is not a senior. She is the first woman to hold that position as well.
Michalke said in a university press release that she is deeply honored to have been selected and will do her best to uphold the tradition of leading her fellow cadets.
“The Corps of Cadets has provided me a tremendous opportunity to grow as a person and to develop good leadership skills,” Michalke said in the release. “More importantly, I’ve been able to mentor others and I will continue to do so in my new position as Corps commander.”
Michalke was selected after a series of interviews with a board whose members included Corps student leadership positions and Brig. Gen. Joe Ramirez Jr., Corps commandant. Final approval was made by interim University President Mark Hussey.
“I join in congratulating Cadet Michalke on her selection as Corps commander,” Hussey said in the release. “I’m certain our next president will look to her for advice and counsel in the same manner I relied on Commander Trigg. I am confident that she will serve admirably as cadet colonel of the Corps during the coming school year.”
Ramirez said Michalke was the perfect choice for Corps commander for next year.
“Alyssa Michalke is an exceptional young woman who has clearly demonstrated her leadership abilities throughout her three years in the Corps, most notably as the Corps sergeant major this year, the highest ranking junior position in the Corps,” Ramirez said in the release.
Michalke’s appointment coincides with the 40th anniversary of female inclusion in the Corps.