Corps trek signals annual leadership transition

Over 2,200 members of the Corps of Cadets will march 18 miles on foot Saturday for the 37th annual March to the Brazos.
The march, which begins at the Quad and ends at the Texas A&M Beef Center by the Brazos River – holds the title for the largest college-run college fundraiser for the March of the Dimes organization in support of healthy mothers and babies.
The march was originally held on April 1 to keep cadets from pulling April fools’ pranks but has transformed into a celebration of cadets transitioning into the next school year and higher positions. The event traditionally is held the week before the Corps’ Final Review.
Drew Alders, senior agricultural economics major and Corps of Cadets public relations officer, explained the fundraising initiatives behind the march.
“We have teamed up with the March of Dimes for premature babies and have raised funds leading up to the March to the Brazos,” Alders said. “Leading up to the Beef Center, they announce who raised the most money.”
Sam Craig, cadet and sophomore English major, saw the event as a milestone marker.
“It’s important to me because it’s symbolic of the end of the year and moving on,” Craig said. “It’s just a turning point.”
In the pass-down activities, Craig said everyone will receive items to represent their new positions such as white belts for sophomores becoming juniors. In addition to the activities, Craig said there will be a lunch and March of Dimes presentation at the Beef Center.
“The freshmen will march there as freshmen but return as sophomores,” Craig said. “I’ll get to return with all my junior stuff so that will be neat.”
Eric Gil, cadet and junior industrial distribution major, said this year’s event marks a transition into the finishing stretch of his Corps career.
“For me, as a junior going into my senior year, this will be my last 18 miles and my transition to my last year in the Corps,” Gil said. “We go in wearing our junior belts, but come back with some senior stuff.”
Matt Keller, cadet and senior industrial distribution major, said even the direction with which they walk bears significance.
“The walk out is to represent the year and where you’ve been,” Keller said. “The walk back represents where you’re going to be next year.”
Keller said March to the Brazos is a culmination of the training process.
“We’re training the juniors to taking our spots leading up to this,” Keller said. “It’s kind of a build-up and March to the Brazos is like saying ‘This is really happening, y’all are going to be charge.'”
Alders said he is looking forward to the march, as it makes it a reality that he has completed his time with the Corps of Cadets.
“It will be something I will enjoy because it represents one final lap with the Corps of Cadets,” Alders said. “It’s exciting and a bit sad. There’s a lot of joy to be able to look back at the last four years and say that we have been a part of the Aggie Corps of the Cadets.”