Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Corps vocabulary: 27 terms to know

Photo by Meredith Seaver

The Cadence, originally authored by Tom Gillis, Class of 1942, is one of the first items given to a fish at the beginning of their time in the Corps of Cadets. It contains information on cadet life, traditions and commonly-used terms.

Corps terminology can often be confusing for non-cadets. In order to clarify some of the inside slang, The Battalion has compiled some of the most-used Corps terms:

Bag-in – Privilege to sleep through morning formation.

BQ – Member of the Aggie Band.

Brass – Metal buttons, buckles and insignia worn on the uniform.

Bulls – Military officers on the Commandant’s staff or assigned to ROTC duty.

Chow – All meals.

Cable – Thread sticking out of uniform.

Campusology – A question about traditions, history, facts, etc. Also referred to as “Campos.”

CO – Commanding Officer (is also a real military term).

D&C – Drill and Ceremonies Cadets; also known as a cadet not pursuing a career in the military after college.

CT – Member of the Corps of Cadets (who is not in the Aggie Band).

Elephant – A senior (permitted for use only by other seniors); Freshman, sophomores and juniors are not allowed to say the word “elephant.”

Good Bull – A phrase used to describe anything that embraces or promotes the Aggie Spirit or the traditions of Texas A&M; It is also used to signify approval of virtually anything.

Groad – Oxidation build up on cadet brass; Also used as an adjective to characterize unacceptable appearance, activity or materials.

Hole – Cadet dormitory room.

Non-Reg – A term used to describe a non-Corps student.

Rack – Bunk or bed.

Ol’ Lady – A cadet’s roommate.

Pisshead – A sophomore cadet (permitted for use only by upperclassmen).

Privilege – A prerogative merited by virtue of rank or class, used with discretion.

PT – Physical Training; Cadets usually attend PT in the morning.

Rams – Demerits.

Re-bag – To go back to bed after formation.

Rest! – Be Quiet!

RV – Ross Volunteer.

Sergebutt – A junior cadet, referring to the Ol’ Army NCO cadet privilege of wearing uniforms made from serge material (permitted for use only by other juniors and seniors); It is often shortened to “butt.”

Trigon – The Military Science Building.

Whip out – Standardized Corps procedure to introduce oneself.

Information is compiled from the Corps of Cadets’ Cadence.