Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

Council advocates tradition preservation

Promoting the idea of the Aggie family, the Traditions Council a sub-committee of the Student Governing Association is holding its annual Traditions Week.
The week is meant to provide more insight on well-known traditions. Alex Coleman, urban planning graduate student, said the council wants to closely follow its mission statement of promoting Aggie traditions this week and beyond.
Were trying to make sure the traditions on campus are preserved, Coleman said. We want to raise awareness while bringing back these traditions so theyre not just something students abide by, but understand and know the symbolism behind.
Coleman, outreach and awareness executive for the council, said an interactive scavenger hunt will take place all week for students who follow the councils Twitter page. He said students have the chance throughout the hunt to win prizes while learning more about traditions.
[The council] will upload facts to bring peoples attention back to these traditions and how they came around, Coleman said.
Freshman accounting major Daniel Kauffman said his favorite tradition is the war hymn and swaying with peers. Kauffman said campus traditions set the University apart from others across the nation.
A&M is one of the only Universities that want to maintain traditions, he said. They give us a sense of community and make our University more than a place to just attend school.
Coleman said campus traditions have sentimental value and meaning behind them and this week could benefit the many students who are unaware of them.
Its hard to reach out to everyone, but were starting to reach the people who want to learn, Coleman said. Hopefully this [week] will spark interest in more people.