Council to hear new Northgate parking proposal

Tanner Garza -- THE BATTALION
College Station Planning and Development Services staff proposed removing 10 parallel parking spots to allow greater crane accessibility at the Domain construction site.
Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION College Station Planning and Development Services staff proposed removing 10 parallel parking spots to allow greater crane accessibility at the Domain construction site.

At Thursday’s City Council meeting, council members will hear an updated version of a proposal to temporarily remove parking spots on Northgate.
The proposal was first brought before the council on Sept. 27, when College Station Planning and Development Services staff proposed removing 10 parallel parking spots along the east side of First Street between Louise and Church Street. The move would allow greater crane accessibility at The Domain construction site.
Chris Scotti, executive director of the Northgate District Association, requested at the meeting that the proposal be tabled because was there was no formal commitment from developers to guarantee alternative parking.
Scotti received an email Wednesday evening concerning adjustments to the proposal that include five free spots available at all times at the back of the lot near Boyett and Church streets between Dec. 1 and May 31. While the proposal has yet to be brought before the City Council, Scotti said he is almost positive the Northgate District Association will support the new proposal.
“I have to put this to my board for a vote before I can officially say the NDA supports it, but I am 99 percent sure it will be good,” Scotti said.
The proposal also addresses the concern expressed by the association about the lack of formal commitment by contractors to guarantee those spots would still be available for free parking in December. The new ordinance proposal requires the Domain to pay a fee to the city to guarantee those spots will be there for that time period by requiring the Domain contractor to pay a negotiated price to the city for those spots.
Scotti said this represents a compromise by all parties to replace the spots.