CSPD, CARPOOL prep roads for Chilifest

In preparation for the influx of alcohol consumption at Chilifest 2015, CARPOOL and the College Station Police Department are work- ing to keep Bryan-College Station roadways safe.
CARPOOL, a nonprofit student- run organization that offers free rides to people in Bryan-College Station, will offer free rides home from the Chilifest shuttle station at Post Oak Mall.
“We will not be taking calls during the day Saturday,” said Mary Mon- day, CARPOOL public relations of- ficer. “However we will have a circuit where when people get off the buses from Chilifest, they can come over to our station and get a ride.”
CARPOOL rides will be offered from 4:30-10:30 p.m. Saturday. The free shuttle service from the mall to the festival will run 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday.
“Chilifest is such a big event and there is a lot of alcohol involved and we want to keep the roads safe by giving people rides home,” Monday said. 

“We just want to make sure the community is a safer place for everyone in the B-CS community.”
Last year CARPOOL gave over 1,000 rides to people in the Bryan- College Station community during Chilifest. This year, Monday said they hope to break that record. Likewise, Monday said CARPOOL could break the 240,000 mark for rides given since its creation.
“Chilifest is one of our biggest weekends of the entire year,” Monday said. “We are really excited to see how many rides we can give and how many lives we can save this weekend.”
Monday said all CARPOOL rides are nonjudgemental. 

Monday said normal CARPOOL operations will continue after the Chil- ifest shuttles stop running.
CSPD Lt. Chuck Fleeger said CSPD and other law enforcement agencies keep a closer eye on roadways sur- rounding the festival with a volunteer task force designed to ensure the Bry- an-College Station roadways are safe from intoxicated drivers.
“With the task force — the enforce- ment end — we are hoping that it is the last resort,” Fleeger said. “A suc- cessful operation would be no DWI arrests because that means that more people made the right decision to not get behind the wheel when they are drunk.”
Unlike other arrests, Fleeger said a DWI arrest is 100 percent preventable by planning ahead. Fleeger said the de- partment hopes students will be cau- tious of the dangers of drunk driving.
“We want people to go out and have fun — as long as that person is the legal age to drink — that’s first,” Fleeger said.