CSPD investigates possible kidnapping

A kidnapping in the College Station area was reported early Saturday morning, according a College Station Police Department press release.
The release says that a female victim met with officers of the police department at approximately 5:36 a.m. Saturday and said two males entered her vehicle while she was stopped at the intersection of Harvey Mitchell Parkway and Wellborn Road and demanded her to drive to an undisclosed location outside of College Station.
This case is currently under investigation by the Criminal Investigation Division of CSPD. The victim’s name was not released. According to Lt. Mark G. Langwell, public information officer of the CSPD, no arrests have yet been made. No additional information has been released by the police.
Cases of kidnapping and abduction are rare in the College Station area, according to the College Station Police Department. There have been eight reported cases since June 2000.
Sgt. Allen Baron of the University Police Department said the crime rate on campus is relatively low, but that it is possible for kidnappings to take place on campus.
“We’ve had some kidnappings on campus; it is definitely something that could occur on a college environment,” Baron said.
Baron advised students to keep their car doors locked at all times to avoid similar situations.
“Usually when you have an abduction from the car, you think of ways to secure yourself,” Baron said. “Keeping your doors locked is something we definitely recommend a person (do) when they are driving by themselves.”
Karla Wiesepape of the CSPD Crime Prevention Unit advised students to be aware of their surroundings at night and stay in well-lit areas.