Cupcake club impacts local food bank

Photo by Courtesy

The Texas A&M Cupcake Club had a goal of raising $1,500 this semester.

For members of the Texas A&M Cupcake Club, baking is more than just a hobby — it’s a charitable cause.
Founded in 2012, the club raises money each year through bake sales to donate thousands of dollars to the Brazos Valley Food Bank (BVFB), a local charity that aims to aid the issue of hunger in Brazos County.
“Last semester we donated about $1,400, and then this semester we put as our goal to do $1,500,” Courtney Alexander, club president and senior food science major, said. “These last two bake sales we have had have been the most amount we have made at our bake sales before throughout our organization history, so we made over $400 at each sale.”
For each dollar raised, roughly five meals can be distributed to those who are hungry. Through Texas A&M Cupcakes’ monetary donations, 46,000 meals were provided to residents throughout the Brazos Valley, according to Theresa Mangapora, executive director of the BVFB.
“That is a significant impact, especially for students juggling classes and other responsibilities,” Mangapora said. “Plus, the members of the group are just really nice people.”
Each semester, the club hosts two on-campus bake sales and one in downtown Bryan. On Nov. 17, the club will donate free cupcakes to local firefighters.
Members who sign up for bake sales are required to bake two-dozen cupcakes, and if they would like to improve their baking abilities, the club hosts guest speakers and classes for enrichment, according to Alexander.
“We do teach an icing workshop each semester, so our members can go to that and learn frosting techniques, how to pipe and make the cupcakes look pretty,” Alexander said.
The founding members of the club chose the BVFB as their designated charity with a purpose in mind.
“There were three girls who founded the organization in 2012, and they just decided that since they would be selling a food item, [they would give back] to an organization in the community that gives food to those in need,” Alexander said. “And food is a basic necessity that we all need, and then the food bank is just a really good cause in this community that gives back to those that need that basic necessity.”
In Brazos county, 27.9 percent of individuals live below the poverty line, as compared to the national average of 13.5 percent, according to the BVFB. One out of every five households in the area are at risk of hunger, BVFB said.
“Annually, the Brazos Valley Food Bank, through its partner agencies and special programs, helps feed over 45,000 different individuals with almost seven million pounds of food, or 5.7 million meals,” Mangapora said.
Sarah Mahmalji, community health senior and Cupcake Club member, said her experience in the club has been fun and rewarding.
“I think one of my favorite aspects of the club is how we’re able to have fun and laughs about everything we do, from baking to selling to having fun at the meetings,” Mahmalji said. “But we’re also still able to make a difference for the Brazos Valley Food Bank.”