Davidson upends Georgetown

Last year Georgetown earned a two seed and made it to the final four. Again this year they earned a two seed and high just as high hopes. Davidson and sophomore Stephen Curry however decided to play spoiler as the small school ten seed handed an NCAA elite two seed a 74-70 loss.
Davidson head coach Bob McKillop put it best by describing everything simply as numb.
On the sure shooting of the baby faced Curry, Davidson staged a ferocious 17 point comeback. Of Curry’s 30 total points, 25 came in the second half. At the end of the day Georgetown led in almost every statistical category from field goal percentage to rebounding, but the Wildcats held the edge in the score and Davidson will make an improbable run to the Sweet 16 where they will face another Bracket beast, three seed Wisconsin.
Georgetown had the edge almost the entire game. Junior Jessie Sapp notched 14 points of his own and led the Hoyas in rebounding. One stat the Hoyas had that did them in was turnovers. Georgetown had 20.
To some Davidson’s upset came as no shock. Curry scored 40 points in the Wildcats first round upset of Gonzaga. In the past two games the Sophomore has scored 70 points.
“For the most part he had guys all over him and the ball was going in,” Georgetown coach John Thompson III said.
Curry sparked a 16-2 run that cut the Hoya’s lead to two. He also managed to record a four point play.
“I have confidence to shoot the ball every time I shoot it,” Curry said. “In the open court, that’s my game — get my feet set and knock down shots. … When I start getting my shot going, it does feel good.”
“He was going to catch fire, and he sure did,” Davison senior guard Jason Richards said. “We smiled. You got to have fun out there. If you’re not going to have fun in the NCAA tournament, there’s something wrong with you. We just kind of stayed relaxed, got him to smile finally, and I think that really got him going.”