Deadly Attack in New Zealand, Advancements in the Mueller Investigation and 2020 Election: This Week in Politics

Robert+Mueller
Robert Mueller

Christchurch Attack

Friday, March 15 marked one of the deadliest shootings in world history. A pair of attacks acted out by a suspected Australian white supremacist brought the death of at least 50 Islamic followers. Immediately afterward thousands of individuals voiced their sentiments in grievance for the families who lost loved ones and condemnation of the bigotry that led to such acts of hatred. Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern responded the next morning by arguing in favor of new gun legislation to prevent future shootings from occurring such as these. Most recently, she voiced her desire for the media and citizens to refrain from bringing attention to the shooter, and rather to allocate focus to the remembrance of the victims who lost their lives due to an act of hatred. Names are slowly being released day by day of those already passed, while over 30 injured still remain in critical condition in local hospitals.
Mueller Probe

Two years ago, an investigation into Donald Trump’s campaign regarding possible collusion with Russia began. Now, that investigation is perceived to be over. On Friday, March 22, the existing special counsel over the Russian Investigation Robert Mueller, gave a final report to active Attorney General William Barr. The report has ultimately ended the speculation and terminated the idea Trump or his staffers colluded with Russia. While citizens are still waiting for a full summary from Barr regarding Cohen’s ultimate conclusions, a senior DOJ official stated on Friday that Mueller will not be pursuing new indictments. While this report has led to approval and relief for the majority of Republicans, it has made Democrats furious across the board. Nancy Pelosi responded by demanding the release of all current protected documents, and Chuck Schumer voiced his similar sentiments by encouraging Barr to not give an incomplete summary to House and Senate Committees.
Democratic Candidates for 2020 Election
The Democratic Field for Presidential Nominees has filled up over the past few weeks in their quest to lead the country in 2020. With general agreement on social issues in the Democratic party, candidates are attempting to distinguish themselves on the front of economic policy. On the farther left spectrum, we see candidates like Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Andrew Yang and Kamala Harris, all of which support programs of an increased progressive tax, healthcare for all and free tuition for collegiate students. Leaning closer to the centrist side are candidates like Corey Booker, who is running on the platform of unity in an Obama-like manner in times of polar partisanship. Along this same path is Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar, who responds to things like the Green New Deal and Medicare for all aspirational goals and says she is setting her focus primarily on pragmatic solutions over idealistic ones her adversaries are running behind. Most recently, Beto O’Rouke announced his official candidacy for President. While O’Rouke has gained the support of many young people with his sweeping rhetoric and grassroots movement, skeptics are still looking to understand his stances and question the specifics of his policies. Lastly, Joe Biden has all but declared that he is officially running. While Biden is a known politician with experience, others fear his old age might be a turn off for the younger generation searching for new bold leaders. While candidates range on a plethora of issues across the board, they all ultimately unify on their desire to prevent a Trump reelection.