Death toll in Istanbul hotel collapse climbs to 4

ISTANBUL, Turkey (AP) – Two people hurt in the collapse of an Istanbul hotel Wednesday have died from their injuries, raising the number of dead to four, an official said.
Rescue workers were still looking Thursday for a mother and her daughter believed to be buried inside, said firefighter Ilhan Ince.
Two of the 18 people injured in the collapse died in a hospital, said Birgul Ozkan, a spokeswoman for the mayor’s office.
The hotel caved in before dawn Wednesday when a subway tunnel being built underneath collapsed. Rescue efforts were temporarily halted late Wednesday when debris and earth slipped, making the site unsafe for rescuers.
Hopes for finding the Romanian mother and her 13-year-old daughter alive were fading.

6 dead in Montreal house fire, murder suspected

MONTREAL (AP) – Six people found dead with gunshot wounds inside a burning house on Thursday may have been the victims of a murder suicide, Montreal police said.
Five of the victims were members of a family that lived in the house, and the sixth was a business associate of the father, police Cmdr. Andre Durocher said.
He said a handgun was found in the house.
“The most plausible hypothesis at this point is five murders followed by a suicide,” Durocher said, refusing to indicate who was the killer. “It appeared that the victims died from gunshot wounds.”

Europeans support military action against terrorists

PARIS (AP) – Some 79 percent of British adults and 73 percent of French adults surveyed in the Taylor Nelson Sofres poll said their nations should cooperate in a U.S.-led military campaign aimed at the masterminds of the Sept. 11 attacks.
More than half of Germans polled, or 53 percent, said they would support a role in a U.S. military anti-terrorism campaign, as did 66 percent of Italians and Israelis, 80 percent of Danes, and 58 percent of Spaniards and Norwegians.