Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Light Middleweight boxers Francis Cristal and Frank Chiu throw crosses during Farmers Fight Night on Thursday, April 4th, 2024, at Reed Arena.
‘One day there’s going to be a ring in the middle of Kyle Field’
Zoe May, Editor in Chief • April 11, 2024

“Throw the 1, follow with the 2!” “Keep your hands up!” “Tie him up!” It was the sixth fight of the night. The crowd was either...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Degree doesn’t guarantee jobs for college grads

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. – Eager to ride the high-tech tide, Andrew Zhou double-majored in computer science and finance when he arrived at Rutgers University in 2000.
As graduation approaches, Zhou is pinning his hopes on finance and dropping the idea he once had that computer know-how guaranteed him a job.
”Four years ago, it seemed like an awesome major,” Zhou said as he waited to speak with a recruiter for a telecommunications management firm at Rutgers’ annual career day.
”Now, nobody wants to get in because all the jobs are going to India.”
While there are hopeful signs outside the technology sector, outsourcing of computer programming and customer service jobs to China, India and other countries with cheaper labor costs have dimmed prospects for seniors like Zhou, said Richard White, director of career services at Rutgers.
A recent report from Forrester Research projected that close to 3.3 million American tech jobs will go to overseas workers by 2015.
”Jobs that used to be available for U.S. citizens are being diverted overseas where the quality is equal or better at a fraction of the cost,” White said.
”The entry level positions just aren’t out there now,” agreed Halbert Wilson.
A January graduate with a degree in information technology from the New Jersey Institute of Technology, Wilson is counting on contacts made during an internship with a pharmaceutical company to help him get a job.
Experts say the best sectors for seniors to find employment are in finance, health care, advertising and government. A jump in the number of campus recruiters visiting campuses is giving students hope.
After two years of low growth, the National Association of Colleges and Employers is forecasting a 12.7 percent hiring jump this year.
NACE spokeswoman Camille Luckenbaugh warned that while 51 percent of the employers surveyed by the group said they would increase recruitment of college graduates this year, another 28 percent indicated they would curtail hiring on campuses.
Internal Revenue Service recruiter Doug Fuller was besieged at the Rutgers’ career day.
”The economy has perhaps changed the mind-set of this generation where they think more about jobs with greater stability than you could encounter in the private sector,” Fuller said.