A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Denying legacy admissions kills the Aggie spirit

President Gates, I’ll be honest. I think that your admissions policies are wrong and directed toward reaching personal goals or an undisclosed agenda that has been thought up by regents and administrators who have no real motive in making the University better (or more diverse).
If you would like to have a political University and play state politics, move to Austin (or back to D.C.). I have more comments and feelings like these in which I am not alone, but that is not what I will rant about today.
Instead, I would like to say that by not allowing legacy to be involved in the admissions process, you are saying to the public and to alumni who strongly support the University that Texas A&M is no longer interested in the type of people or the traditions that this University is known for.
Essentially, by not allowing legacy to affect admissions, you are killing the Aggie spirit just like you have smothered Bonfire and the flame that unites the Aggie family.
Your decision is the beginning of the end.By not allowing legacystudents (orcutting back on them to “diversify” the campus) you are putting an end to the Aggie family.Only OldAgswill know of this spirit andtry to keep it alive. Eventually, this school will have no legacy members and will not be distinct in any way.If that is what you want, go to Austin, or any other “state” school.
In the e-mail you sent, you stated that “We believe, as virtually every university in the country does, that students whose family members have attended its university add value to what makes those institutions unique. This is especially true at Texas A&M.”
By making it harder for legacy students, you are being hypocritical.
I am trying to be polite and make you see the error of your ways through eloquent rhetoric, but I realize that I am so agitated it is not working.
So let me be blunt.
Aspresident of this University, you have done nothing but irritate the students and alumni. If youtry to please politicians instead of getting in tune with the students, faculty and alumni, then you will soon lose support.The bottom line: If you are unhappy with your job, change it; don’t try to change the employer.
Hopefully this gets my point across. If not, let me know, I could use more colorful vocabulary to tell you exactly how I feel.