Department of Multicultural Services hosts 12th annual Fusion Fiesta

Photo by Photo by: Yuri Suchil

Wayan Rakananda Saputra and Rohit Bachani play the Gamelan at Fusion Fiesta 2016. 

Fusion Fiesta is a yearly event at Texas A&M that aims to show students the different cultures that make up the Aggie Family.
Fusion Fiesta is the largest multicultural event at Texas A&M, hosted by three cultural councils — the Hispanic Presidents’ Council, Black Student Alliance Council and the Asian Presidents’ Council. Fusion Fiesta is also sponsored by the Association of Former Students. The event will be held tonight at Rudder Plaza from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. The event has many things to offer to attendees, from food to entertainment. Yet, the main focus of the event is helping A&M students further their knowledge of other cultures on campus.
The event aims to bring together and empower students from underrepresented backgrounds and cultures, according to director of marketing and recreation, park and tourism sciences senior Linda Co.
“We know that the minority community is fairly small [at Texas A&M] and that’s why we’re having this event to promote the marginalized community on campus and to celebrate it,” Co said.
This is the 12th annual Fusion Fiesta, and organizers are looking to make this year’s event bigger than those before it. According to biochemistry senior and entertainment committee member Mile Nicholson, the fiesta will have 25 different organizations working booths, and each booth will focus on a different country and its culture.
“The organizations can pick whatever country they want, and they research this country and put [the information they learned] on a board and present it to people,” Nicholson said. “Throughout the event, students come through and learn from the boards.”
The event will offer an assortment of free food from the various cultures represented. The entertainment at the event will be composed of 15 organizations that have volunteered to showcase their different talents.
“It’s really nice to see the progression of [Fusion Fiesta] as the years go on,” said sociology senior and Fusion Fiesta Chair Rasheeda James.
James said Fusion Fiesta is important to the student body of Texas A&M since it reaches many students of different backgrounds and cultures. Having events like this one is crucial as the campus continues to grow, James said.
“Texas A&M is much more diverse than it was in the past,” James said. “Events like this show that this change is actually happening.”