Dept. selects head of psychology

The Department of Psychology confirmed selection of new leadership this week.
Paul Wellman, interim head of psychology since June, said Douglas Woods of the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee accepted the position of head of psychology.
Basically I stepped into this position because that allowed the department to search for an external head, Wellman said. I actually served as department head from 1992 through 2003. I always knew that I would only be doing this job for a year.
As department head, Woods will be responsible for scholarship, graduate training and alterations to the undergraduate program.
The new department head will assume and develop further the strategic plan of the department, Wellman said. He will consult with the different areas of the department and try to discern what is the best way for us to grow and to develop.
Woods will be the first external department head hired from outside A&M in almost 30 years.
Woods said accepting the offer as head of psychology at A&M is a big step up in national recognition.
To be able to be at a University with a very strong alumni base with very strong tradition: thats very important to me as well, he said.
Faculty elected a search committee and the dean appoints one or two members to the committee to select the department head.
Woods said one of his first orders of business will be to expand the psychology clinic.
We’ll build a clinic that everyone in the state can access either by coming to A&M or by using tele-health services,” he said.
Woods will assume the role of head of psychology Aug. 1.