76th Speaker of the Senate Marcus Glass, left, poses with incoming 77th Speaker of the Senate Ava Blackburn.
Student leaders reflect on years of service in final Student Senate meeting
Justice Jenson, Senior News Reporter • April 18, 2024

The Student Government Association wrapped up its 76th session by giving out awards such as the Senator, Committee and Statesman of the Year...

Freshman Tiago Pires reaches to return the ball during Texas A&M’s match against Arkansas on Sunday, April 7, 2024 at Mitchell Tennis Center. (Lana Cheatham/The Battalion)
No. 14 Aggies receive early exit from SEC Tournament
Matthew Seaver, Sports Writer • April 19, 2024

The No. 14 Texas A&M men’s tennis team fell to the No. 44 LSU Tigers 4-3 in a down-to-the-wire duel on Thursday, April 18. Facing off at...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Diversity expert explains ‘rainbow rule’

The U.S. Military Academy at West Point has implemented a diversity process model that urges people to accept, understand and value differences, said Col. Andre Sayles, head of the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department at West Point.
“Treat other people the way you would have them treat you – if you were in their place,” Sayles said.
Sayles said this rule – called the “rainbow rule” – acknowledges the fact that people come from varying backgrounds and will inevitably be different.
In his speech, sponsored by the Texas A&M engineering department, Sayles explained his approach to organizational diversity, which integrates diversity into the military and other organizations by teaching members of an organization to become a part of the organization’s culture.
“We’re putting the burden on companies to be diverse, but the process needs to start in the colleges and universities,” Sayles said. “We need to deliver students who can understand diversity. Then it goes out into the workplace, then back to the home and then to the schools.”
Sayles defined diversity as differences in people that can have an impact on the effectiveness of an organization and said that diversity is everyone’s business – not just leaders’.
Sayles, an engineer, said achieving diversity is an “engineering-like process” and could be attained by looking for solutions to problems.
Sayles said efforts to promote equal opportunity have made little progress in the past 25 years. He said race-related groups, such as the National Society of Black Engineers might not be entirely beneficial.
“There’s a thin line between nurturing and separatism,” he said.